Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Weston flying his kite this past week. He got tired of walking around with it, so he just sat down.


Koper was introduced to real (baby) food this past week.
That shiner on his cheek, yep, that's from Weston.


Today has probably been the best Mother's Day for me, not because of all the gifts I received from my kids and husband but because I've had the chance to really think about what it means to be a mother this past week. I got to visit with my best friend/should be sister this past week while she recovered in the ICU from some complications during her baby's delivery. Nothing like receiving an early morning phone call with rotten news...it has made me really evaluate motherhood. So here are my thoughts on being a mom.


I've always wanted to be a mom. After Weston was born, I didn't struggle that much. I went back to work four weeks after he was born. I was able to bring him to the office with me so that helped. I thought it was pretty easy to work and be a mom... As he grew older, I knew it was time for us to stop working and for me to be a full time mom. I was also pregnant with Koper so that helped the decision. Transitioning to a full time mom was not what I thought it would be. Then Koper came along, and I really struggled. Have you ever wondered why we have to struggle to be mom's? I've been thinking about this lately and this is what I've come up with...


I worked on a farm here in Moscow for two summers while I was in college. One of the many glorious jobs I got to tackle was roguing. Roguing is like finding a needle in a haystack. You get to walk acres and acres of fields and pull out the unwanted plants and weeds. Because I worked on a research farm and the crops had to be as close to perfect and pure as possible, we did the same fields over and over again. While roguing one day, I remember thinking, "why in the world do there have to be weeds?" It was ridiculous how hard we would work to remove those weeds. But in the end, a pure crop was harvested (at least that was the goal.) Some times as moms it is ridiculous what we have to put up with and handle. On a daily basis I am pushed to my limit by my extremely stubborn and independent two year old who has his own time frame for doing things. I am also frustrated by my six month old's growing clingy-ness. But then once the "weeds have been pulled" I look back and I can't help but be excited for my independent two year who is putting the pieces of his world together. And I love the fact that my six month old knows who I am and that he wants to be with me.
To all those out there who are moms and who so desperately want to be moms, I wish you the best. Motherhood is frustrating but it is also pretty cool.
Happy Mother's Day, now go pull some weeds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, Lacey you made me cry!
-BreAnn

Stephanie said...

Great analogy! You're a great mom to your kids! We miss you guys!

teeny said...

oh lacey, just know this, that i so love reading about my grandchildren and all they do and all they are. in the end you will look back over the days and months and years and wonder where the time has gone and wish it were back. precious memories! you and your sisters-in-law are wonderful mothers. i am grateful for each and every one of you! love you, teeny