Wednesday, April 21, 2010


This past week has been nothing but bittersweet. My grandpa's funeral was Monday morning and my whole family was here (except my sis-in-law Kelly.) The best part about funerals is that they bring people together. We haven't been together as a family for years and we were so close to having everyone with us this time.

My favorite event of the week was going to G & G's house and watching slides on their lawn while eating carmel popcorn one last time. My grandparents moved to Moscow in the early 90's and we developed a tradition of going to their house on Sunday evenings and watching slides from when they were little and our family reunions. This past Sunday we tacked a white sheet to the side of their house and my aunt made carmel corn. We had to watch the slides outside because our family is huge and we can't all fit inside the living room anymore.

My grandma passed away in 2000 shortly after I graduated from high school. A couple of months before she passed away her health rapidly declined and we had the opportunity of making her comfortable at home in her final days. It wasn't a fun process but I learned a lot of lessons from it. She was pretty special to me and I miss her a ton.

The past three weeks have been difficult. Three weeks ago, my grandpa went to a doctor's appointment and was sent to the hospital due to low oxygen levels. After a week in the hospital, he was taken to a nursing home. Less than a week later, he passed away. I hate nursing homes. Visiting my Grandpa the first time at the nursing home was terrible. He was such a strong man and to see him in that environment was heartbreaking. I told my family we had to get him out of there as soon as possible. I'm sure he felt the same way, but you would never have known it. He was such a trooper and never complained. I am grateful that he didn't have to endure it for very long.

Through everything that has happened, the biggest lesson I have learned is to rely on our Heavenly Father and to always listen to the promptings of the Spirit. Before my grandpa went into the hospital I had a feeling that I needed to stop in and see him. I almost didn't but I stopped by really quick to make sure he was okay and to see if he needed anything. Two days before he passed away I checked in on him at the nursing home and decided to visit him everyday. My mom and I went that next day with my boys and that was our last visit. He looked great and I am grateful that I can remember him from that last visit.

As we have celebrated his life this past week, we have also celebrated my grandma and their love for each other and our family. I know that they are together again. We have had many sweet experiences this week that have helped strengthen my testimony of the gospel. I know families can be together forever.

Seth and I will be moving during these next two weeks into my grandparent's home. I am so grateful for this opportunity. It is a huge blessing for our family. I am excited to see what experiences it will bring to our family. I know our Heavenly Father loves us and is just waiting to bless us.


Melissa said...

Hey so I guess this friday is off?
And what about VT on Sunday? is that still on?
And do you guys need dinners?
What about help with cleaning?
Moving help?
Let me know.

Natalie said...

We love you!

Ashley said...

we will miss you guys, but that is a great opportunity for you, let me know if you need any help with anything

teeny said...

thank you lacey for sharing your feelings and thoughts and memories. your grandfather was a wonderful man. what a nice picture of him. so handsome. your brothers look so much like him.